Modis is seeking a UNIX System Engineer for our Elk Grove Client
Location: Elk Grove
Posted on: May 9, 2022
Modis is seeking experienced UNIX System Administrator.
Candidates will be responsible for working with
cross-functional and cross-organizational teams to understand,
augment, and implement the systems, processes, and tools that are
used for the quality manufacturing business. The purpose of
the role is to ensure that our clients systems are managed with the
highest level of pro-active management to maximizing uptime for our
client mission critical manufacturing systems.
Key responsibilities and activities
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective
provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and
maintenance of systems hardware and software and related
infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research
and development to enable continuing innovation within the
infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware,
operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere
to organizational values, enable resources to perform tasks, and
meet various service level agreements.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in
the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project
Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of
needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development
within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and
support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out
the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing
the transition of projects from development staff to production
staff by performing operations activities within the project
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux,
SAN Storages, Security, and Inventory systems that support SDS
infrastructure; Responsibilities on these systems include SA
engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance
and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
Engineering and Provisioning
• Engineering of related solutions for various project and
• Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware,
peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, cabling,
etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational
• Install and configure systems such as supports SDS infrastructure
• Develop and maintain installation and configuration
• Contribute to and maintain system standards.
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated
approaches for system administration tasks.
• Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide
economies of scale.
Operations and Support
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and
availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key
processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying
completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
• Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible
• Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file
systems and system data are successfully backed up to the
appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media
is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
• Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
• Provide upper tier support per request from various
constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
• Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
• Perform hardware, software, and basic network troubleshooting as
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade
administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as
• Upgrade and configure system software that supports SDS
infrastructure applications per project or operational needs.
• Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
• Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and
resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and
disk partitions as required.
• Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
• Provide team and project leadership to onshore and offshore
• Lead by example by creating and adhering to standards to maintain
• Represent Apple as a leader when working with diverse teams
facilitating meetings and driving project tasks to completion.
• Represent the System Administration Team while on project
• RHEL / Oracle Enterprise LINUX.
• IBM V7000 SAN storage
• Promise Storage technologies (Vtrak E-Class,J-Class)
• ORACLE EXADATA hardware maintenance.
• LINUX performance tuning to support ORACLE and MySQL database
• LINUX NFS and SAN based storage solutions.
• LINUX / UNIX networking
• VMWare Virtual machines.
• Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as
engineering or computer science.
• Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Unix.
• Excellent experience over 10 years of providing 24x7 support for
Production and Development environments.
• Must be an advanced troubleshooter.
• Must be a fast learner and willing to learn.
• Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends,
sometimes with little advanced notice.
• Travel at short notice is also sometimes required.
• Work often requires lifting heavy servers when racking
Keywords: , Elk Grove , Modis is seeking a UNIX System Engineer for our Elk Grove Client, IT / Software / Systems , Elk Grove, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!